March 4, 2014
Lake Health Services Impacted by Water Disruption
Prairie North Health Region is temporarily reducing many of its services in Meadow Lake, in response to a total disruption in water supply that is affecting the entire City of Meadow Lake and Flying Dust First Nation.
The disruption began at 11 this morning when the city turned off its water supply system due to a major watermain break. The city estimates it could take two days or more for water service to resume.
To ensure the safety of our patients, residents, and health care providers, as well as appropriate infection prevention and control, and the safety of our community, Prairie North is restricting access to many of its services and facilities in Meadow Lake.
- Individuals are asked to limit their use of the Meadow Lake Hospital emergency department for true emergencies only.
- Visiting restrictions are in place at Meadow Lake Hospital and Northland Pioneers Lodge.
- If you were planning to come to the hospital or Lodge for a general visit to a family member or friend, please reschedule your visit until water service is restored.
- If you are a family member or friend who regularly provides support to your loved one, you may still come to the hospital or Lodge to do so.
- If your visit is urgent or for a palliative patient, you may still visit. Please check with the nurse or manager in charge.
- Laboratory and Medical Imaging services at the Hospital are closed to outpatients. Lab and radiology services are available only to emergency cases and patients in hospital.
- Surgical services are restricted to emergencies only. Elective and outpatient procedures for tomorrow (Wednesday, March 5) are being cancelled and rescheduled.
- Maternity cases are being referred on, unless delivery is imminent or emergent.
- Public Health Nursing has cancelled its public health clinic for tomorrow (Wednesday, March 5) and will continue to postpone and reschedule appointments until water service is restored.
- Speech Language services, physiotherapy, and occupational therapy services that visit Meadow Lake Hospital are cancelled until water service resumes.
- Mental Health and Addiction Services are restricted to urgent or emergent cases.
- Home Care will continue to provide services to clients in client homes. Wellness client and other client visits to the Home Care offices in Northwest Health Facility are being postponed.
- Social and recreational activities at Northland Pioneers Lodge are restricted to residents only.
- The Meadow Lake Clinic/Primary Health Centre will continue to see patients by appointment. Please call ahead.
In addition, Prairie North's Public Health Inspectors are working in the community to advise all eating establishments and similar venues of legislative requirements to ensure public safety. This may result in the closure of local restaurants and other public eating establishments until water service is restored and safety requirements are met.
Please contact the program or facility with any questions you may have about appointments and services.
For a printable version of the Public Notice, click here.