November 13, 2012
The Prairie North Regional Health Authority held its regular monthly board meeting on Wednesday, October 31, in North Battleford.
CEO David Fan shared a presentation delivered at a provincial ‘Connecting the Dots' conference that brought Board Chairs, CEOs, and other health system leaders together. The Draft 2013-14 Strategic Health System Plan outlines the proposed goals and outcomes of the provincial health care system for the coming year. The plan is more focused than that of 2012-13, as the number of outcomes has been reduced from 18 to eight, and improvement targets reduced from 38 to 19. Key provincial breakthrough initiatives or hoshins have been reduced from five to three:
- Strengthen patient-centered primary health care by improving connectivity, access, and chronic disease management
- Transform the patient experience through sooner, safer, smarter surgical care
- Safety Culture: focus on patient and staff safety
Prairie North's 2013-14 plan, currently in development, will support the provincial plan and carefully align our priority projects with provincial breakthrough initiatives.
Maryanne Janssen, general manager of Marshall's Ambulance based in St. Walburg, made a presentation to the Board regarding wage parity between private for-profit ambulance operators (such as Marshall's) and public ambulance operators (such as the service in Meadow Lake).
Janssen provided Board members with background on which collective agreement clauses apply to private sector employees and which do not. The reimbursement of emergency responders' annual professional licensing fees is one area that is inconsistently applied throughout the province. Janssen asked that Prairie North cover the licensing fees of all contracted ambulance service employees throughout the Region, at an approximate annual cost of $21,000.
- The Board approved a request from the RM of Wilton to donate its entire trust fund of $41,559.80 to the STARS Air Ambulance service.
- Financial statements to the end of September 2012 show an operating surplus of $991,492.
- The Board reviewed four of its governance policies: Authority Committees; Community Advisory Networks; Authority Sponsorships; and Authority Communications. The Authority Committees policy will be reviewed more carefully and brought back for discussion at a future meeting, while the other three policies were reaffirmed.
- The Board reviewed its proposed 2013 meeting schedule. Meetings will be held in North Battleford, Lloydminster, and Meadow Lake. The Board also discussed and approved in principle the idea of having additional community meetings in rural areas throughout the year.
Upcoming public meetings:
November 28 – Lloydminster Hospital
December 17 – Battlefords Union Hospital
Minutes from previous Board meetings can be found at www.pnrha.ca, under About PNHR > Governance / Board of Directors > PNRHA Board Minutes.